In her book Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, Anne Lamott says, “For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.”


My hope is that this is what books become to you—as important as almost anything else on earth. This blog is about helping you find the miracle in these small, flat, rigid squares of paper while you are in middle school and beyond. Once you read alongside me, you are forever a member of my tribe of readers. No matter how you old you are, when you need to be reminded of the power of a good story, you will find me here, waiting to place one in your hands.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith


copyright date: January 2012
primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up)

After reading a few heavy books, I picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith from my shelf of to-be-read books expecting a light, fluffy romance. 

I should know better by now.  I wouldn’t have purchased it if it were just a light, fluffy romance. 

Of course I was completely sucked in by the premise that everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is not apparent at first.  Hadley is on her way to London for her father’s wedding—the beginning of a marriage to a woman Hadley has never met because why would she want to meet the source of the affair that broke her family apart?  Anyway, she misses her flight because of a series of choices and mishaps. 

Now, having changed her path to London, Hadley encounters a guy.  An attractive guy.  A charming guy.  A guy who insists on keeping her company and happens to have a seat near hers on the next flight to London. 

The well-written, genuine, sometimes humorous voices of Hadley and Oliver definitely helped the story ring true, as well as the honest relationships amongst family members (and soon-to-be family members) Smith has crafted add to the authenticity. Although there are still many aspects of this story that are completely implausible, I just didn’t care.  In fact, while I was reading I didn’t even notice.  I was so wrapped up in Hadley’s journey that I wanted to believe it all. 

Hadley’s story is much more a coming-of-age story than a romance.  Through twists of fate and spontaneous decisions, she mends her broken relationships with each of her parents and learns how to be herself.

4 comments:

  1. I just bought this on my kindle the other night-I think it was maybe $3.99 at the most. So it's sitting on ready.....

    Right now I'm reading Skinny-about an overweight girl who chooses to have the gastric bypass surgery. It's a good one!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been able to read this yet...it keeps getting checked out! Thanks again for gifting our classroom with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two copies of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your blog. I come back to it time and time again to click on your categories and read your reviews. I have a new list for back to school now, thanks to you. I appreciate these great posts. Keep on reading! Heather

    ReplyDelete